19 May 2008

On the End of the Third Decade


This is the most expensive cocktail I've ever drunken.
It was a Bajan Mojito and cost 9 GBP/$18 USD!

Well, if you must know, I do feel older on my 30th birthday. But that is due to the simple fact that I partied like a 20-something all weekend long: three consecutive nights of drinking, dancing, eating and very little sleep. One of my best friends came down from Glasgow to visit and along with my DH, we stayed up until midnight to toast my birthday last night. And now it is time to have a nice, relaxing 'me-day' on my bday. I am surfing knitting sites, deciding how to spend a gift certificate to yarnmarket.com, gloating over my superb gifts (handmade bag, a Lush honey gift box, The Splendid Table's How to Eat Supper cookbook and fielding phone calls from well-wishers and lost floral delivery drivers. But I digress.

Aging is really not a scary thing for me at this point in my life. My visiting girlfriend remarked about how calm I actually seemed to be about turning 30. Unlike one of my female roll models, I do not feel compelled to spend a week in bed lamenting my inevitable demise (I would only consider such a course of action to sleep off the partying I did this weekend). I decided to embrace it rather than fight it which may sound easier said than done. Considering I spent the majority of my twenties feeling lost while searching for viable life skills, meaning in life and my identity, I can now say how much better off I am now at thirty. I know who I am, I know what and who is important to me and I know that I am solely responsible for creating the context of in which I live my life. It is empowering; it is refreshing; it is invigorating. Thirty is the departure point from the uncertainty and self-doubt of my twenties.

      Lisa at the Wheel of Manchester
Happy Birthday to me! It has been a great beginning of the second third of my life. Off to revel in all my birthday glory.

3 comments:

Penny said...

Happy Birthday! :)

Tamagosan said...

Wait, I'm going to turn thirty?

Jen said...

well stated Britt! this is great... cheers!! xoxo