01 August 2008

Friday Food: Cannelli Bean and Arugula Salad; Canelli Bean and Cilantro Spread

While we were still living in Vancouver, I started looking for some vegetarian bean spreads for our evening Brotzeit or 'bread time' - low fat protein, baby. So I bought a bag of dried canelli beans a couple weeks ago at the Bury Market and finally decided to do something with them. So here are two of my own recipes just for you. Hope you like them and let me know of any variations you try out.


Canelli Bean Spread with Cilantro and Garlic

Ingredients:
1 or so cups of canelli (or white) beans, soaked overnight, cooked until soft and drained (or 1 can)
1 good bunch of cilantro, chopped
2 or more cloves of garlic, crushed
2 tbsps of olive oil
Juice and zest of half a lemon
Salt and pepper to taste
Mash beans with a fork or potato masher. Mix in all ingredients. Enjoy! So easy and so tasty.
This spread was so good that even my totally carnivorous German husband enjoyed it instead of meat on his bread...
This week's foray into cooking with canelli beans was a whim. I decided to make a salad using some beans I was intending to make into a similar spread. Instead, I came up with this - not vegetarian, but hey, even I need a little meat once in a while:
Garlic Image by adactio

Canelli Bean, Arugula (Rocket) and Bacon Salad

Ingredients:
1.5 cups or so of canelli beans, soaked overnight, cooked til soft, drained (or 2 cans, drained)
1 large white onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 big bunch of arugula, chopped
1 cup of lean bacon, finely diced
2 tbsps olive oil
1 cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese
Juice and zest of half a lemon (or 3 tbsps of white wine vinegar)
Salt and pepper to taste
Saute bacon for three minutes in a pan, add onion and garlic until bacon is crispy-er and onion is glassy, and add to beans. Fold everything else into beans. Serve with some toasted, crusty bread. Yum.
Have a great weekend.

4 comments:

Bluefish said...

Hi, I found your blog on www.expat-blog.com

Take care:)

Cathy said...

Yum!!! Yum!!!! Looking forward to trying these out!

Love you!
Cathy

Tamagosan said...

YUM!!!!!
I love these beans! Everyone wows about this when I make it. So easy to multiply for parties, too. Have food processor, will eat! I put way less oil, more lemon and adjust the garlic to the audience's tolerance:
http://splendidtable.publicradio.org/recipes/app_rosemary.html
Love Kasper, love Bittman.

Tamagosan said...

OK more on beans from here in SF!

The Food section ran a cool story on fresh ones, which may or may not be in season this time of year in the UK...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/08/05/FDC211VB23.DTL

Long ugly link, I know.